Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Project365 012: White and Black

Toronto got hit with a snow storm today. I tried a few shots of snowy downtown streets, with vehicles or people slogging through the snow. They would have worked out okay. But I at one point I looked up. I've heard that as a suggestion to don't just look at what is 'the main subject', but look elsewhere too - look behind you, look down and look up.

This is the TD Tower on Wellington Street. The sky is white with snow and the tower is a bold black. The speckled and darkenend perimeter is, in concept, a reflection of the dirty snow on the streets.

Black and white conversion was once again done in Silver Efex Pro. I used a film simulation "Kodak TMAX Pro 400". What does that mean? Well, the software transforms the digital image to approximate what it would have looked like if I had used the TMAX type film. Or at least that is what I am told - I never shot with that film for real so can't really say. I do like the result regardless. The darkenend corners was created by adding a vignette in Photoshop Lightroom.

.
1/320 f/1.4 ISO 400 EF50mm f/1.4 USM @ 50 mm Canon EOS 40D
Wellington and York,Toronto,Ontario

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very nicely shot. The composition and the B&W conversion work perfectly. I've shot (not recently) with TMAX Pro 400 in a TLR although for the life of me I'm not sure I could tell the difference outright between different films.

Great idea on the 365. Are you going to stick to the 50mm for the full year or do various themes?

Terry said...

I am only planning on the 50mm theme for one week. But it is a convient size so I expect to use it a lot, but under different themes.