Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Project365 011: Union Tunnel #1 and #2


For the better part of the past year I have been watching the daily progress of the reconstruction of this tunnel at Union Station. It now appears finished. I had been thinking that the repeating patterns of the posts would make for an interesting pattern which is shown in this first picture.


1/50 f/1.4 ISO 500 EF50mm f/1.4 USM @ 50 mm Canon EOS 40D
Union Station,Toronto,Ontario

I grabbed this straight on shot as well thinking that it had some interest. You can't see the receding posts but the vanishing tunnel effect is still visible. Such a centered and symmetric image is normally considered contrary to the rules of composition, but Jean-Marc liked it so I thought I'd share it as well.
 
1/50 f/1.4 ISO 800 EF50mm f/1.4 USM @ 50 mm Canon EOS 40D
Union Station,Toronto,Ontario
 
Both images were processed using Nik Software's Silver Efex Pro. For those of you who might not know what the software does, I'll give a little explanation. Although the photo was taken originally as a colour image, I though the image would be more interesting as a Black and White. But I didn't just want to drain the colour out of the image, that would have created a flat and dull image.  I wanted something with more drama. Silver Efex Pro provides some tools to let the artist do that. I have only just begun to use it so I am not well practiced at it.

2 comments:

John-Roy Photography said...

I love it

Terry said...

Thanks John, for your encouraging words.