Thursday, January 13, 2011

Project365 013: Downtown Hawk

I am quite pleased with today's picture. It is quite an improvement over the other candidates from the day. It still won't make the cover of National Geographic but I think it is pretty decent.  I got a tip from some co-workers about the Hawk perched in the tree. Thanks Jeff and Casey.

Remember that my self assignment for the week is 50mm? Not a typical birding lens. I would have been thrilled to have my 200mm with me.  I tried about 6 different angles before discovering this one. For those who know the area, the bird is on a tree between the TD Waterhouse Tower and the Royal York Hotel. The image was made from the terrace of the Royal Bank Plaza.

This is a tightly cropped image - only 10% of the original. I could only print this with decent quality as a 4" print. The image is about 1000 pixels and a decent print needs 250 pixels per inch for close up viewing.
 
1/60 f/5 ISO 400 EF50mm f/1.4 USM @ 50 mm Canon EOS 40D
Toronto,Ontario

1 comment:

Terry said...

I discovered this morning that this Hawk had died overnight. That explains why he was some calm - must have been ill or injured yesterday. Sad.