Sunday, November 08, 2009

I bought a 7D

I really did, but I didn't say 'Canon 7D'! Many people in my circle know that I keep pretty up-to-date on photo gear and such, so they often ask me what I think of a peice of gear and if I am going to upgrade. This has certainly been a common question since Canon announced the 7D which would be on my upgrade path. That is, if I were going to upgrade, I would seriously have to consider that model.

But why should I upgrade? My first digital camera was a Pentax Optio - A good little pocket camera for it's era. But I quickly found that I could not do some of the things with it that I wanted to explore. I upgraded to the original Canon Digital Rebel (300D). That served me well, and I took many good pictures with it. Then two things happened, it developed a hot pixel, which meant every picture had a red dot on it. Annoying. And we were planning a trip to Alaska. I wanted better low light performance and a few more pixels to grab that far away wild life. I bought the 40D.

With the body and lenses  I now have, I can say that the equipment is better than I am. This is not a new idea. Local photographer, Michael Reichmann, says something along the line “Most cameras are better than most photographers”.  He's right. I'll stick with the 40D until I break it or I really want to do more video.
.


1/160 f/2.8 ISO 200 EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM @ 70 mm Canon EOS 40D

No comments: