Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Hay, Hay, Hay

I grew up on a farm. Many a summer day and evening were spent haying; cutting, raking, baling, or hauling. I first started to 'drive' when I was six or so. I can still remember sitting on the seat of that big old W6. I think my brothers and Dad did more driving than I did - but I was sitting in the seat. I loved that tractor, the motor always ran so smooth even when idling so slowly that you could count the fan blades as they spun around. Now in those days we used square bales; they only weighed 50 or 70 lbs, I suppose. You sure got a work out throwing those around. Those are a rare sight these days, most often we see these big round bales, 10 or 20 times the weight and can only be moved by a tractor. Much more efficient, I am sure, but not nearly the same cardio-vascular work out.

1/80 f/5.6 ISO 640 EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +2.0x @ 380 mm Canon EOS 40D
Warden and Elgin Mills,Markham,Ontario

A good rule of thumb is to try to things in groups of three. It seems to resonate well with peoples brains. One thing might be too simple, but lots of things might be too complicated to take in. Three seems to be about the right balance to have enough interest to draw in the viewer, but not be too much and scare them away.

No comments: