Wednesday, August 12, 2009

River of Silk

The island of Hawaii has many, many waterfalls along the Hilo coastal side. The Hilo area is the wettest place in the United States with many areas receiving between 200 and 300 inches of rain per year (500 to 750 cm). Waterfalls are a natural result on the slopes of the ancient volcanoes.This particular waterfall is in the Hawaiian Tropical Botanical Garden. I highly recommend this place. It is a beautiful garden with many fascinating specimens, many of which I will show to you rover the month.

This particular image is a classic image composition; silky cascading waterfalls with a pool at the bottom. In order to get the silky effect on the water you need to use a slow shutter speed - 1 to 2 seconds. This often leads to too much light so you need to do this early in the morning or late in the evening to take advantage of dimmer conditions. The garden is not open at those times, so what can one do instead? Of course you can stop the as I have done here to f/10. I don't like to go much smaller than f/11, if I can avoid it because diffraction effects will start to soften the image. In this case I also used a 3-stop neutral density filter. This image could have been sharper if I had used a tripod.


1.6" f/10 ISO 100 EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM @ 24 mm Canon EOS 40D

Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden,Papaikou,Hawaii

No comments: