Thursday, September 08, 2011

Project365 251: Long Division


I have an Honours Degree in Mathematics from the University of Waterloo - one of the top North American universities for such studies. This is rather ironic, because there was a time when I was not very good at arithmetic. It was until my upper years in high school that I actually learned long division!

There was a turning point for me that allowed me to be good at math  - that was the discovery of the electronic calculator. It took away my troubles with arithmetic and allowed me to explore to world of numbers without getting stuck at knowing 6x7.  It wasn't until part way through high school that I discovered the stuff I figured out by myself in grade 8 using my calculator was calculus!

I eventually figured out the arithmetic as well. I just did things backwards. The calculator allowed me to learn things in a different order than what the Ministry of Education thought things should be done.

This same principle can be applied to other endeavours as well. Maybe using fully automatic modes on your camera will let you explore the world of composition and design without having to worry about aperture and shutter speeds first.


Long Division
1/25 f/5 ISO 800 EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM @ 190 mm Canon EOS 40D
Richmond Hill,Ontario

No comments: