Friday, November 06, 2009

the dust of the earth in a basket

Today it snowed. I put on my Hawaiian shirt and set to the task of picking my picture for tomorrow. I pretty quickly settled in on this image. I tried working it a bit in Photomatix, but ulitmately decided that I could get what I wanted from it easier in Lightroom. A slight crop to place it in the centre, and a bit of vignette to gid rid of the clutter on the upper edge were some of the extra touches.

Not shown is the artisan who was working away at this creation and telling us how he makes a connection between is art and himself. I thought about what to write. I went searching for some poetry about baskets and found none suiting. Finally, I came across this text.
Who has measured the waters in the hollow of his hand,
or with the breadth of his hand marked off the heavens?
Who has held the dust of the earth in a basket,
or weighed the mountains on the scales
and the hills in a balance?  Isa  40:12 (NIV)
The earth in a basket? That is some basket. Did the omnipotent God need a basket to keep himself organized? No. But we often need baskets to keep ourselves organized. Ever had a rough day? If you are like me, you may need to put your 'dust'  in a basket and put it on a shelf. It will be there when you need it.


1/160 f/3.2 ISO 400 EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM @ 115 mm Canon EOS 40D
Pu'uhonua o Honaunau National Historical Park,Hawaii

1 comment:

Dwayne Tucker said...

I like this shot terry!