Sunday, November 01, 2009

Backyard Aviary


You don't have to travel far in order to experience nature. There are lots of ways your can do so right in your own back yard and I'm not saying so because "B F-P" is in Africa on photo safari and I am jealous.  A while ago I show some macro images some of mine and others which showed what you can find up close.

But you can also make your yard into a bird sanctuary. I have been trying to do this for a few years and get lots of visitors, thanks to some direction from a MJ, a friend of mine. But I recently discovered a local store that specializes in this. "Wild Birds Unlimited" - I discovered them because of some advertising on their car at the GO station. I dropped in there a few weeks ago and talked to their friendly staff and the owners. I left with with a lighter wallet. It is a franchise, so there could be a store near you too. If yo don't know how to get started, they will be glad to help. I know have a heated bird bath and hope to entertain visitors all winter long.

This image below is a female Cardinal. Like many birds, their colours are more muted (to us) than the bright red males. I say "to us" because I have no idea what they look like to each other. I recently learned that the feathers of many birds exhibit colours which we can't see. They extend beyond the spectrum of human vision. I would have loved to show you the picture of her companion. A large bright red fellow sitting on a tree branch, bathed in lovely evening light with a back ground of yellow maple leaves. Unfortunately, he got away before I was able to grab my camera and push the shutter. But it was a gorgeous image - at least in my mind. One day ...



1/100 f/5.6 ISO 800 EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +2.0x @ 380 mm Canon EOS 40D
Richmond Hill,Ontario

No comments: