Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Rose Coloured Glasses

Have you calibrated you monitor this month? If not, do it now. Don't know why it matters, keep reading.

Why calibrate your monitor?
- Your prints don't look like the image you see on your screen
- The image you see on your monitor doesn't match what you saw in real-life

- Other people see the colours differently than you do
- You care about consistent image quality over time.

If you don't calibrate your monitor then it is like you are always looking at them with coloured glasses on, but you don't know what colour they are, green?, brown?, pink?You just don't know.

How do you do it? The best way is to buy a colourimeter - a device that measures colour.  The procedure is pretty straight-forward and doesn't take very long.

Here are some products to look consider:




I happen to use the Huey, but if I were to buy another one, I would seriously consider an upscale product like Colormunki. Mainly because I would like to calibrate my printer to some Hahnemuhle paper I bought, which doesn't have ICC profiles available for my printer - but that is a topic for another post.

If you look at the image below, and the title of today's post you might say - hey those aren't rose-coloured! If you haven't calibrated your monitor, how do you know?

1/250 f/3.3 ISO 80 @ 4.9 mm DMC-TS1
Punaluu County Beach Park,Punaluu,Hawaii
This image is not from the Chinese lantern festival, but from the Hawaii trip. These glassed were found abandoned and I shot them as found, in retrospect I should have also moved them so the little bump could have looked like a nose.

No comments: