Monday, August 24, 2009

Here Comes the Sun

I've always wanted to try telescope-based astrophotography. I have resisted because I know that to get the kinds of results I want will require a lot of practice, travel and money. Not that those things are a particular barrier it is just that I have too man things all competing for the same resources.
I did get my chance while we were at the Mauna Kea visitor centre. They had a large telescope set up and fitted with filters for solar viewing. I grabbed my point-and-shoot, went into macro mode and grabbed this solar portrait. Admittedly it is not a great picture. There is only so much I am willing to do with a line of people behind me. If it is your own gear you can get adapters that allow you to fit some point and shoot cameras to a telescope. You can do the same thing with a SLR camera using a T-adapter in place of your lens and the telescopes eyepiece.

P.S. Thanks for the post yesterday from my guest blogger, Ashok. I will have to add the NY botanical garden to my places to see in New York.

1/8 f/3.3 ISO 400 @ 4.9 mm DMC-TS1

Mauan Kea,Hawaii

No comments: