Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Off Limits

Threshing machines like this were used mainly in the first half of the last century until they were replaced by 'Combines', which combined several implements together and could move through the grain fields rather than having the grain on the stalks brought to the threshing machine.

Yesterday I talked about changing ones position to get a better composition. Well here is another example. I wanted the fence in the image to provide a foreground element - always something to consider in a shot like this. But what I didn't think enough about was the fence post. I just don't like where I ended up putting it. The lines of the post bleed into the vertical lines of the grain elevator on the machine. In retrospect I should have moved a meter to the left so that the post showed against the snow alone. Perhaps a tighter shot the eliminated the post altogether as well.

1/30 f/6.3 ISO 800 EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM @ 90 mm Canon EOS 40D

Quill Lake,Saskatchewan

No comments: