Friday, July 29, 2011

Project365 210: Reflections on Shadow

I am often asked "What do you learn by doing P365?" Today is a good example. My theme is shadow - the absence of light in contrast with its presence. I find that there are lots of choices when the sun is bright, but today was mostly overcast - the sky is one huge softbox distinct shadows are hard to find. But I cannot defer my picture for a sunnier day - it is a picture everyday and I have my own rule which says stick to my theme.

So today I was on a quest looking for light - inspecting closely how is was behaving - trying to think of places or situations that would stand out.  Of course I could always resort using a strobe or otherwise manipulate light for my purpose and that was my Plan B. But I wanted to discover something that would work.

I ended up with three candidate shots, of which this is the final winner. The shadow is very subtle as it is the complete underside of this arch what makes it visible is the reflections from the pool of water that lies beneath.

It may not be the best shadow shot, but I saw a lot and I think I learned a lot as well. Mission accomplished.


Reflections on Shadow
1/250 f/6.3 ISO 400 EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM @ 105 mm Canon EOS 40D
Nathan Phillips Square,Toronto,Ontario

1 comment:

John-Roy Photography said...

This is just awesome. I love these kind of shots that make you think and absorb and it there. YOU NAILED IT!