Monday, February 15, 2010

Stumped

My wife and I spend a lovely weekend in the Hockley Valley area at the home of David and Janet Fayle who run "The Farm UpCounty".  It was a nice weekend get-away for to two of us.

David had suggested this cedar stump as being photo-worthy. Because of the denseness of the trees in this area, I might have been better off with a wide angle lens so I could get in close and isolate this one tree. But I had a 70-200 mounted and I decided to see what I could do with that as a constraint. I tired a couple of different angles, and I think this is the best of them. The very bright snow, and the black of the burnt area made for a very wide dynamic range. The image is the result of a nine image HDR.

Today's Assignment: Pick a location or a subject, and then pick one of your lenses (at random). If it is a zoom lens, also pick a focal length. Then go out and make 12 different images of that subject without changing your focal length. Don't get stumped!  


1/320 f/4 ISO 400 @ 70 mm Canon EOS 40D
Palgrave,Ontario

No comments: