Friday, August 28, 2009

Yellow Billed Cardinal

Another colourful bird that caught my eye was these red-headed ones. At first I thought they might be Red-crested cardinals, but it turns out that they are actually the closely related Yellow-billed Cardinal. What is the difference? Their haircut. The yellow-billed bird does not have the crest at the back of the head.

I like the composition here, but it is not as sharp as it could have been. It is the price I pay for hand-holding. I suppose getting the reflection of all three in the water would have been additional icing. The grass along the bottom I am not so sure what to do with. On one hand it provides some fore ground interest, but would have been better if it had been sharp as well.

Now you might think that my tip is to use a tripod and if you are on a photo expedition that would be a good thing to do. But I was on vacation with my wife, pictures are secondary. Sure I would have loved to put a 16x20 of these birds on my wall, but I was happy to have been there with her. A 4x6 in a scrap book will do just fine.

1/200 f/3.2 ISO 400 EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM @ 200 mm Canon EOS 40D

Pu'uhonua o Honaunau National Historical Park,Hawaii

1 comment:

Zenith said...

If you can crop or had a bigger zoom and got a shot of the yellow billed cardinal and the reflection on the water it would be a great snap to print & frame.